Chicago celebrates a long-delayed consecration, early African American Episcopal pioneer honored in Philadelphia, and how clear is the Bible, really – all this and more! It’s our weekly roundup of news from around the church.
This Week at the Episcopal Journal and Café
- An Episcopal Priest from Walla Walla, WA is set to appear on the popular game show, Jeopardy.
- Episcopal Relief and Development is working to meet the needs of Puerto Ricans in the aftermath of Hurricane Fiona
- After a two-year delay for health concerns and the death of her husband, Chicago consecrates their new bishop
- Presiding Bishop offers a moving homily at the National Cathedral’s service in memory of Queen Elizabeth
- Western New York parish is building community through dog treats (plus you can get a free sample just in time for St Francis Day)
From Other News
Parishes in the News
New Bishop welcomed in Utah
- Salt Lake Tribune ‘Her joy is infectious and so is her faith’ — Utahns consecrate their second-ever female Episcopal bishop
- KSL News
The EpiscopalDiocese of Utah welcomes new bishop at her ordination
Other Interesting Items
From bishop Peter Carrell in New Zealand on how Scripture is used and abused in the real world: Clearly Scripture is not as clear as clearly many would like it to be!
A look at TV depictions of the religious life: The Priest Behind the Screen
Pope Francis endorses vision for a peaceful and just economy that’s more equitable and respectful of the poor and the environment
From Earth & Altar: Morality and the Aims of Politics
image: the renaming of Lancaster Ave from St Thomas Facebook page